"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Gandhi

Friday, February 5, 2010

new space

http://tmkaske.livejournal.com/

My blog, while usually poorly attended and maintained purely for my own egoistic pleasure, has been skewing towards thinking about animals--partly because I was asked to keep a record of my thought process while participating in an excellent class on animal suffering at UW.

I'm less interested in what's happening to me internally when I think about animals, partly because it's hard to make sense of what goes on in there and partly because I hate reading my emotional self-reflections. Ever gone back and read your old journals? They're cringeworthy, or at least mine are.

But I am interested in cataloguing my thoughts about animals in the media. I've thought of putting some effort into keeping a window open onto the things I do in academia, but in less academic terms, and I wonder if I can sustain a regular dialogue with media reactions to animal rights, welfare, and popular culture. Perhaps as I work this may grow into something useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment